Setting up nOps (Automated Setup)
Setting up the AWS account in nOps is simple. You just need to enter the project name you want to use for nOps and a valid AWS S3 bucket name in nOps, and then go to the AWS Management Console to set up the project in one click.
In case you have a parent (Organization) and child account in AWS, you have to link parent account to nOps. That way, nOps can pull the cost details and show dashboards around it.
If you link only the child account, nOps won’t be able to pull the cost details. Though you will be able to see other details except for the cost details.
The account that you use to log in must have the below-mentioned permissions in order to set up the account properly.
The following are the minimum set of permissions the AWS user needs to successfully set up the AWS project
- Access to the master payer account if you are using AWS Organizations.
- Permission to create and run an AWS CloudFormation stack.
- Permission to create AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) roles in your account.
- Friendly account name.
- The name of an Amazon S3 bucket where your AWS Cost and Usage Reports (CURs) will be written. (We will create one if one does not exist.)
- CURs enabled in the account.
IAM and CloudFormation:
Read and write permissions
Steps to set up a project in nOps:
Change Video - Update
Check the steps below:
- Log in to nOps.io
- If logged in for the first time in nOps, then on “Welcome to nOps” pop-up click on “Add AWS Account” button. Otherwise, go to “Settings → AWS Accounts” from top right user avatar drop-down.
In “AWS Accounts” page, click on “Add new AWS Account”.
Select “nOps Wizard Setup” method on setup method selection page and click next.
It will open “Account Details” page with a simple form. Enter the “Project Name” (Name for your AWS workload in nOps) and “Bucket Name” (AWS S3 System bucket which will be used for system logs and billing data.)
Note: Make sure you enter a correct and valid AWS S3 billing bucket. Otherwise you will not get the required view of data.
- Click on “Setup Account” button and you will be redirected to the AWS console login page to complete the setup.
- On the AWS console, the user will be asked to log in using user credentials that have rights defined as per prerequisite section.
Once logged in, the user will be redirected to the “Create Stack” screen. All the fields on this page will be pre-populated.
Mark the checkbox for “I acknowledge that AWS CloudFormation might create IAM resources” and click on “Create” button.
- If you have all required permissions, as mentioned at the top in the prerequisites section, then the setup will start creating the stack with status “CREATE_IN_PROGRESS”. Once the stack is created then “Status” will be “CREATE_COMPLETE”. You can click the browser refresh button to check progress. Normally it takes 1 to 2 minutes to complete the process.
If you don’t have proper permissions then you will see errors like in the screenshot below and the stack will not be created. You can assign the necessary permissions and rerun the setup.
Log in to https://www.nops.io after the nOps integration (stack) create process completes.
Note: It’ll take a couple of hours typically before you start seeing the different nOps dashboards and compliances views populated with data from your workload. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at +1 866-673-9330.